Mar 6, 2012

Rugelach - Baking with Julia

English / Italiano



I have to be honest with you: the ingredients of the Rugelach scared me! I was afraid that I'd gain weight while reading the ingredients list: a huge amount of butter and cream cheese - this is what the dough required! I'd almost thought to skip this recipe but a promise is a promise: I had joined the “Tuesdays with Dorie- Baking with JuliaGroup” and a mountain of butter wouldn't put me off! 
To make Rugelach you need time and patience...but if you love baking, you know that it isn't unusual...Rome wasn't built in one day, wasnt' it?
Rugelach, what is it? According to Wikipedia, it's Jewish pastry of Ashkenazic origin...according to my family and me: it's DELICIOUS!

Since I am not hosting this month, I'll shortly describe how I made Rugelach following the recipe in the book “Baking with Julia”. Please go and visit the Hosting Ladies Margaret of The Urban Hiker and Jessica of My Baking Heart to find the recipe written in details.
First I made the cream cheese pastry and chilled it in the fridge for a couple of hours. In the meantime I cooked the Prune Lekvar (a thick jam or fruit butter) following the recipe in the book (p.448-449) but was a bit annoyed by the fact that I ended up with 3 cups of Lekvar instead of 1 as stated in the recipe. As the Rugelach needed 2 cups of filling, I was so happy that I hadn't doubled the ingredients. What I usually expect from a baking book is that the quantities stated are accurate and I really hope that this was the only "mistake" in it. Future will tell!

Third step was to prepare the topping and the rest of the filling. They consisted of sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts and chopped dried fruit. I've omitted the dried fruit as for me (us) it was already sooo rich. I took the pastry out of the fridge, rolled it to 2 rectangles, spread them with the prune Lekvar, sprinkled with sugar-cinnamon mixture and finished by strewing chopped nuts over the dough. Rolled the rectangles into two logs and put them into the freezer.


Sarò onesta con voi: gli ingredienti del Rugelach mi hanno spaventata! Avevo paura che sarei ingrassata alla sola letture della ricetta: un' enorme quantità di burro, Philadelphia, zucchero e noci.
Quasi quasi avevo pensato di “disertare” questa ricetta, ma visto che una promessa è una promessa...!
Ho aderito al gruppo "Martedì con Dorie - Baking with Julia" e una montagna di calorie sicuramente non mi farà desistere!
Per preparare il Rugelach ci vuole tempo e pazienza ... e se amate la cucina, sapete che non è nulla di insolito: anche Roma non fu costruita in un giorno!
Ma che cos'è questo Rugelach?
Secondo Wikipedia, è pasticceria ebraica di origine ashkenazita ... e secondo la mia famiglia: una delizia!
Dal momento che questo mese non ho lo statuto di “ospite della ricetta” (hosting) vi descriverò brevemente come l'ho preparato, seguendo le indicazioni del libro “Baking with Julia”.

Andate a visitare le due “Ladies” che ospitano questa ricetta sui loro blogs: Margaret of The Urban Hiker e Jessica of My Baking Heart. Lì troverete la ricetta passo per passo.

Prima di tutto ho fatto l'impasto e messo in frigorifero per un paio di ore. Nel frattempo ho preparato il Lekvar di prugne (una densa marmellata) seguendo la ricetta del libro (p.448-449), ma mi ha infastidito il fatto che mi sono ritrovata con 3 tazze di Lekvar invece di una, come indicato nella ricetta. Visto che per la farcitura del Rugelach avevo bisogno di 2 tazze, ero felice di non aver raddoppiato gli ingredienti.
Quello che di solito mi aspetto da un libro di cucina è che i quantitativi indicati siano esatti e spero che questo sia stata l'unica svista...il futuro ce lo dirà!
La terza fase è stata quella di preparare il resto della farcitura e il rivestimento, costituiti da zucchero, brown sugar, cannella, noci e frutta secca tritata. NB: Ho deciso di rinunciare alla frutta secca...per noi erano già ricchi a sufficienza.
Dopo circa due ore, ho tolto la pasta dal frigo, spianata in 2 rettangoli, spalmati di Lekvar di prugne, cosparsi dapprima di zucchero e cannella e poi di noci tritate. Ho formato due rotoli e li ho messi nel congelatore per farli solidificare, in modo che fossero più facili da affettare.




After about two hours I took them out the freezer, sliced them into pieces, 
Dopo ca 2 ore li ho tolti dal congelatore, tagliati a fettine,




coated generously each slice with the cinnamon-sugar-nut-mixture and baked them.
ricoperti abbondantemente con la miscela di cannella-zucchero e noci e cotti nel forno.


They came out of the oven just when we were about to finish our dinner...That's what I call “good timing”! … and so we had some for dessert. They were still warm and we loved them! 
Li ho tolti dal forno un attimo prima di finire la cena...(timing perfetto, oserei dire!)...e ce li siamo gustati per dessert. Erano ancora tiepidi - una goduria per il nostro palato!


The effort was worth it!
Un gran lavoro, ma ne è valsa la pena!






Interessati all'acquisto del libro?
Would you like to buy the book?



Print Friendly and PDF

  Sign up to my free Newsletter. Iscriviti alla mia Newsletter gratuita.
To validate, please check your email (or spam folder) and press on the confirmation link. 
Per validare l'iscrizione, premi il link di conferma che riceverai per email (controllare la casella di posta indesiderata).


59 comments:

  1. You ARE first to post and I'm first to comment:) Glad you enjoyed these. I did too and thought they were worth every bit of effort required!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Rugelach look great!

    ~Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on being the first to post! It's still the 5th here :-)
    I made half batches of both the fillings and end up with more than the stated amount for a full batch - not sure what was up with that (although, they are really good on toast or a warm biscuit).
    It looks like your cookies came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to everyone for the lovely comments you left here!
    TWD-Baking with Julia Group is fabulous!

    The button "reply" underneath your comments won't work and I have absolutely no idea, why!
    Sorry for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for being first! Your ruglelach turned out great. :) I had some reservations making these too, but I am glad I baked them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do look wonderful, and I fully agree - they are incredibly rich! Love the idea of freezing the dough, making it much easier to cut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look perfect! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look lovely .... you did a very good job ...!!! :-) and you are so right it does need a lot of patience but totally worth it !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! Lots of work, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. freezing the log was a great idea, I need to do that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!! Just one comment though, the table on the left with facbook, google, etc. didn't really let me read all the content from your blog, maybe it's because I have a notebook!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it looks better now. Thanks for the precious info.

      Delete
  12. They look great! I will remember that about the frozen dough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks yummy! I made the dough and let it be for 24 hours, then when I put it all together put it back in for 24 hours and it came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish my "reply" button would work! I've read in internet that it's an annoying issue happening to many blogger right now!

    Thanks a lot for all your wonderful comments <3

    Mireia Badia: Thanks for writing about the "share-sidebar" problem. I'm going to move it to the bottom of each post (as soon as I find "how to").
    Did anybody else have the same problem?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice Rugelach! I am sure they were perfect right after dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice job! I only made a quarter of the recipe because of all the butter and cream cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I could share mines...thanks for commenting

      Delete
  17. You have such lovely pinwheels - they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I sliced mine thinner so that each cookie would be a little less sinful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow they look great! I love your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    So many lovely comments! You made my day!
    One of the reasons I've opened a blog was to be able to join TWD-BWJ group and I'm so pleased I did it!
    USA visitors have beaten Switzerland's in just one day (couple of hours)! Unbelievable! :-)
    @Wannabe baker: I'm glad you love my blog. Thanks

    PS: Does anyone know how to fix this "reply"-problem on blogger?
    If you push reply on this comment, does it work? I've been playing around with the HTML codes all afternoon but couldn't find any solution! Sad :-(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you decided to make them. I think they are definitely worth the effort and glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Greetings Switzerland! My favorite country since the 5th grade when I learned about the beautiful Alps. I'm in California, USA and I'll probably be one of the last to post - my Rugelach rolls are chillin' in the fridge. What a fun adventure this is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...Hope you can visit Switzerland soon...all the best.

      Delete
  23. your rugelach look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, yours rolled out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look great and I bet they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. your rugelach looks delicious! I also made the prune lekvar, as well as the apricot, and they both produced more than double what the book said they would. I halved the recipes and still had more than enough for my cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great idea to freeze logs. Thanks for the English translations - its fun to see everyone's results, especially in other countries. Glad we are baking together!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I appreciate the tip to freeze as well. That really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your rugelach look delicious! Great photo of the rolled up dough and filling- next time I will try to freeze too. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

MANY THANKS for your Feedback - IL VOSTRO COMMENTO MI STA A CUORE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...